WORKSHOP ON DIGITAL RESEARCH METHODS focuses on state-of-the-art methods for analysing textual and visual digital data, consisting of three modules:
Tuesday 5th December (9:00-17:30), room B066
9:00 “MAKING SENSE OF DIGITAL DATA USING VISUAL NETWORK ANALYSIS WITH GEPHI” – Massimo Airoldi, emlyon business school
FOCUS: Digital data are ontologically relational. Visual network analysis represents a way to explore them for research purposes.
– Introduction to digital data epistemology for social scientists
– Collecting social media data using Digital Methods Initiative’s tools
– Hands-on introduction to network visualization with Gephi
– How to analyze and interpret digital networks in a qualitatively-driven way
(12:00 Lunch Break)
13:15 “TOOLS AND TECHNIQUES FOR ANALYZING TEXTUAL DATA (WITHOUT PROGRAMMING)” – Lynn Cherny, emlyon business school
FOCUS: So you’ve got a lot of text. What now? There are some tools that don’t require programming to help you explore it.
– Concordance tools: Word counts, word patterns, keywords in context.
– Word clouds (visualize most frequent words)
– Information content, entities
– Sentiment analysis
(15:15 Coffee Break)
15:30 “CREATIVE VISUAL RESEARCH METHODS FOR DIGITAL DATA” – Joonas Rokka, emlyon business school
FOCUS: But what if you’re digital data is images or other visuals? How can one study visual social media platforms such as Instagram?
– How to make sense of the visual digital data in the context of social research
– How to collect and organize user-generated visual data for research purposes
– Three main approaches for interpreting visual data in a qualitatively-driven way
– Exercise with visual data from Instagram
For external participants, there is a participation fee of EUR 50,00 for the Digital Lifestyle Research Day (4 Dec) and EUR 300,00 for the Workshop (5 Dec).
- Contact : Joonas Rokkas, professor at emlyon business school
- Email : email@example.com